One of the things I am most passionate about is understanding and being a life-long learner of neuroscience to be able to leverage brain science to optimize my own personal health and teach others how to maximize theirs.
In my personal opinion, this is exactly what we should be teaching our children to help embed holistic, evidence-based practices in early habits to build strong, healthy habits by adulthood.
I personally transformed my own life once I started to learn more and more about neuroscience and neuroplasticity. It was a complete game-changer for me on how I made sense of my life and made, sometimes, the simplest of changes for tremendous outcomes.
For example, I pushed back on meditating for years and years. Part of it was rooted in my past chapters living for everyone else but myself. As I started to work through that, I was also learning about the abundance of research on meditation on the brain. I was mind blown at the evidence of how meditation literally helps to rewire the brain, because of neuroplasticity.
I started small and meditated for a couple of minutes every couple of days and started to work my way up to longer sessions more regularly. Now I notice a difference in myself when I do and when I don’t meditate. Meditation helps calm my mind and body down. With time, I am noticing that how I think, my barometer for stress and my ability to be more mindful of my body and what it needs continue to increase. This has been a gift for me.
Neuroplasticity is an incredible tool that can help us lead lives of greater fulfillment and joy by rewiring our brains for better mental health and emotional wellbeing. It refers to the brain’s ability to reorganize itself by forming new neural connections throughout life in response to experiences or changes in environment.
By studying neuroplasticity we are able to understand how our thoughts, emotions, behaviors, relationships and even physical health are all related. The knowledge gained from these studies can be used to develop new treatments for a variety of mental illnesses as well as provide insights into ways we can improve our overall happiness and wellbeing.
The last few decades have seen a surge of interest in the fascinating concept of neuroplasticity, or the capacity for the brain to change and rewire itself even in adulthood. With such an enormous amount of information out there about this topic, it can be overwhelming to figure out where to start learning more. To that end, I’ve compiled a list of my top picks of some of the best books on neuroplasticity available today:
- The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science by Norman Doidge – This groundbreaking book by psychiatrist and psychoanalyst Norman Doidge brings together stories from around the world illustrating the amazing potential for neuroplasticity in adults, even in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds.
- The Neuroscience of You: How Every Brain Is Different and How to Understand Yours by Chantal Prat- Gives insight into the science of neuroplasticity, teaches strategies for applying it in our lives, and explains why certain bad habits could be holding us back from reaching our full potential. With a combination of personal stories and scientific research, this book is an incredible resource for anyone looking to unlock their true potential.
- Livewired by David Eagleman- This book dives deep into the science of neuroplasticity, exploring how our brains are wired differently and how we can use this knowledge to unlock our full potential. It covers topics such as rewiring our brains for better mental health, breaking bad habits that could be holding us back, developing new treatments for mental illnesses, and more! With a combination of personal stories and scientific research, Livewired is an incredible resource for anyone looking to gain a better understanding of their own neurological makeup and lead a life of greater fulfillment.
- Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School by John Medina – Neuroscientist John Medina draws on research from across disciplines to reveal how the brain works best in all areas of our lives, including learning, exercise, nutrition, sleep, emotions and creativity.
- The Brain’s Way of Healing: Natural Discoveries and Recoveries from the Frontiers of Neuroplasticity by Norman Doidge – In this second installment, Dr. Doidge shares more case stories and details about how our brains can heal themselves, even in cases where treatments have failed. He also explains a wide range of natural therapies that activate the brain’s own healing powers.
- The Mindful Brain: Reflection and Attunement in the Cultivation of Well-Being by Daniel J Siegel – Neuropsychiatrist Daniel J. Siegel presents mindfulness as a powerful tool for harnessing neuroplasticity and improving mental health, physical health, creativity, relationships, work and play.
- Soft-Wired: How the New Science of Brain Plasticity Can Change Your Life by Michael Merzenich – Neuroscientist Michael Merzenich explains how to use the new science of neuroplasticity to rewire your brain for optimal performance in all areas, such as intelligence, memory, attention and creativity.
- “Neuroplasticity: The Brain’s Way of Healing” by Moheb Costandi– Moheb Costandi explores the concept of neuroplasticity from a scientific perspective, providing an in-depth understanding of how the brain can reorganize and recover from injury or dysfunction. He explores the latest research and its potential implications for treating neurological disorders and enhancing brain function.
- The Brain’s Way of Healing: Remarkable Discoveries and Recoveries from the Frontiers of Neuroplasticity by Norman Doidge – Psychiatrist Norman Doidge explores how we can actively use neuroplasticity to our advantage, using case studies to illustrate the potential for transformation that lies within each of us.
- Rewire: Change Your Brain to Break Bad Habits, Overcome Addictions, Conquer Self-Destructive Behavior by Richard O’Connor – In this comprehensive book, psychotherapist Richard O’Connor explains how to use the power of neuroplasticity to break free from unhealthy patterns and improve your relationships, career and overall quality of life.
The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma by Dr. Bessel van der Kolk is an essential resource for anyone looking to learn more about trauma and its effects. In this book, Dr. van der Kolk discusses his research on PTSD and traumatic memories along with stories from his patients that help illustrate how these experiences shape our lives. He also provides practical advice on treatments such as yoga, mindfulness meditation, psychotherapy, EMDR therapy, neurofeedback techniques and more.
With the help of this groundbreaking science, you can unlock your full potential and make the most out of every moment. Neuroplasticity is an incredible tool that can help us lead lives of greater fulfillment and joy. No matter your goals, you can use the information in these books to improve your mental and physical health, creativity, relationships, work and play. With a little effort and dedication, you can create the life of your dreams.
Interested in leveraging neuroplasticity more to streamline and optimize your own personal outcomes? Check out what people are saying about our Personal Development Accelerator. It is a life changing experience that uses holistic, evidence-based strategies for an intense learning and personalized outcomes-based experience. This could be you too. Learn more!